Saturday, May 13, 2006

Kitchen Remodel

I've been promising many of you pictures of our new kitchen for quite some time now. So, I thought the best way to do this was through the blog.

As many of you know, Paul remodeled our kitchen at the end of 2005/beginning of 2006. After much planning and trips to Home Depot (we probably could have qualified for an address change), Paul finished the kitchen in only 6 weeks. He did a tremendous job!! I should note, that Paul has never remodeled a kitchen before. This was a "learn as you go" experience for him. Thank goodness for confidence, huh?!

During the 6 weeks, he finished our cabinet doors, drawer fronts and cabinet facings. He refaced our kitchen cabinets, replaced the cabinet hardware, replaced our countertops with new formica, replaced our 2 basin sink into a one basin sink (which required new plumbing work) and ran new electrical to install accent lighting above our cabinets. When he finished his handy work, my dad painted above our cabinets my parents and I put up new wallpaper. It looks like a whole new kitchen.

Here are some pics of the "old" kitchen:



Here are some "working" pictures, including the piece of finger that Paul lost during the process.

"Daddy's Little Helper"
"The Missing Piece"

Now you didn't really expect to get through a big project like this without a trip to the ER did you? No such luck! On the day after Christmas, I was out shopping with my mom when my cell phone rang. It was Paul explaining that he had cut his finger with a razor blade and was on the way to the emergency room. I dropped my mom off at home and met Paul at the ER. I figured, it was just a razor blade AND he's driving HIMSELF to the ER, how much damage could he do, right? Well, when I arrived in the ER Paul was sitting in a chair trembling, from the pain. Immediately after, they called him back to take his vitals and ask him all of the insurance questions. As part of routine questioning they asked him if he was taking any drugs. He mentioned that he only took an over-the-counter antihistamine. The nurse looked up at me and said ever so calmly, "I'm not going to write that down because I don't know how to spell it." I should have known, at that point, that this visit was not going to go well.

Paul starting shaking violently and complained of seeing stars. Then he passed out! Immediatly, there were about 6 nurses smacking him around and calling his name. They got him on a stretcher and made reference to a siezure (I didn't take that too seriously, because I wasn't real confident in the abilities of the people that surrounded us). However, given the fact that Paul wasn't conscious at that moment, I couldn't very well suggest driving to another hospital. A doctor stuck his head over the cubicle, threw his hands in the air and said, "oh, just get him in a bed." Good Grief, this place needs a lesson in bedside manner!! I could go on about the completely incompetent staff we encountered, but I'll spare you. To make a long story short, Paul needed stitches. However, he left the piece of finger at home (to be found later), so they had nothing to stitch. They bandaged him up and sent him home. I was so relieved to be leaving that place and very thankful that Paul wasn't in serious condition. I would have feared for our lives. Much to my dismay, he started back to work later that evening.



The finger incident didn't affect his abilities whatsoever. The finished product was MUCH more than I ever expected. I am so proud of him....and the kitchen! I think he did a fabulous job....but you can judge for yourself!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful kitchen! You should be very proud. Can I borrow your husband? :)

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at the hospital. You and Trista could write a book. I'll have to thank my lucky stars that we've encountered seemingly (if you don't know it can't hurt you, right?) competent hospital staff.

Enjoy your kitchen!