Friday, April 06, 2007

Before You Turn 5

Aidan has several friends at school who share an April birthday, so he's had lots of cupcakes this week. Each day he will come home and say, "it was [insert name here] birthday today, he's 5. Am I five?" So the final countdown has begun. He will turn 5 in 12 short days.

This morning, as we were getting ready for school, the following conversation took place:

Aidan: "Mom, what is your job?"
Jenny: "Well, one of my jobs is being a mom."
Aidan: "Do you like your job?"
Jenny: "Being a mom is the best job I could ever have."
Aidan: "Why do you and daddy kiss me so much?"
Jenny: "Because we love you so much we can never get enough. Do you know that we love you?"
Aidan: "I guess" then he looks at me out of the corner of his eye and errupts in laughter. Then we break into a ticklefest.

After I dropped him off at school, I played the conversation over and over in my head. Aidan, there is something that I want you to know right now. Right this very moment. Today. Before you turn 5.

I have learned more than I ever dreamed possible from you. You are the reason I get up in the morning. You put the most smiles on my face. You make me want to be better, all the time. You influence every choice I make; everything I do. I love you to the moon, Aidan Thomas!

No comments: