Wednesday, December 13, 2006

December 13, 2006

At this time of year, people are usually thinking about New Year’s resolutions. Mostly, I hear people talk about weight loss. While I plan to embark on that as well, I wanted this year’s resolution to be something deeper….Something that will inspire me to WANT to fulfill my resolution. Something that will make me want to strive further than the second week of January. I’ve been thinking about this for awhile now. At this point, I’m still not sure what direction I want to go, as there are several things calling to me.

In my faith life, I want to be more involved in our church. I struggle where to fit in as we transition to a new church. We are confident in our decision on a new church, but our hearts still hold a place for our old church. I know it will help if I can get involved and so I intend to find my niche at our new church.

For my health, with the rest of America, I want to become a healthy mom and wife. I want to be around for a long time to continue raising Aidan and to enjoy my life with Paul after Aidan is grown.

In my family life I want to learn to “live in the moment.” I hear people talk about this all of the time and my conscious reminds me of it daily. However, I am constantly in a “just get it done” mode. I promise myself that I will live in the NEXT moment, if I can just get through this one. I feel like I’m going through the motions to get things done and not really enjoying all of my hard work in the end. I love doing things for my family and friends, but worry so much about making everything perfect, that I really don’t “enjoy that moment.”

As far as my professional life goes, I think that will come together with my other transformations. I really enjoy the work that I do right now. However, I don’t aspire to be at the top of the company. I am at peace with my current position in the company and I take pride in my work. I know that I do the best job that I know how to do. I’m not really worried about this aspect of my life because my goals are already set for me. I work with management and write and track those goals on an annual basis. Those are scheduled to be written and will be waiting to be achieved. I can check that off of my “to do” list. That being said, there is always room for improvement. Recently, I’ve been involved in an Employee Experience Initiative. There are many aspects to the initiative, but I am in a sub-group focused on Work-Life Balance. I am very passionate about this topic. I know that I am a better employee if I can balance my family life. So, my personal (professional) goal is to make strides with rolling out new opportunities for co-workers, with the tools that I have been given.

I am extremely happy with my life right now. However, I don’t want to settle. I want to have goals and purpose in life. I don’t have an actual goal for the New Year as of yet, and I still have a lot of thinking to do. However, I know that it will involve shaking off my inertia and transforming my life. I am looking forward to this ride in 2007!! Stay tuned…..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and Mark... I tell you! I am impressed that you have so many potential goals for 2007; now it will be a matter of "which to focus on?"

Becky made a goal for 2006 to clean out every closet and cupboard in her mansion (er, house). And there are tons of them. I'm pretty sure that she made it! I'm sure you can too!